Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Parades, Pitbulls and Pink--This Was My Memorial Day!

Carrying the Daisy Flag!
Yesterday my daughter marched in our town's annual Memorial Day Parade with her Daisy Scout Troop.  The girls walked nearly 3 miles in the heat, which even at 10:30 in the morning, was over 80 degrees.  The good news for me at least was I got my 3 miles of walking in that morning.  And got to experience what walking 3 miles is like in heat that oppressive.  We had sunscreen and water but still, it was sticky, sweaty and just plain hot!  Hopefully it won't be that hot when I walk in the 3 Day.

My Little One just before Parade!


This is us falling a little behind!


The parade overall was a great experience for me and Talia at least.  I know it was hot and probably not the most pleasant of conditions, but so many people came out to watch the parade that it seemed to energize most of the girls.  I know it helped me to keep going.  We did see a few people on the parade route who were in uniform and that really helped us to remember just why we were doing the parade.  All the sacrifices that people in the armed forces, as well as their families have made over the years really hit home when you see that.  To me a parade like this is not unlike what I picture the 3 Day will be.  Hundreds, even thousands of people out there supporting the same cause.

The parade ended at the local fire house where they had free hot dogs and drinks for all the participants.  Iced tea had never tasted so good!  And then we met this little girl:


This is Gina, she is a 5 year old pitbull that my little girl and two of her school friends couldn't resist taking a picture with. She was so sweet and gentle that I almost couldn't believe she's a pitbull.  I had to take a photo because she was so friendly and because she was wearing pink!  Also, I thought she was pregnant but her owner informed me that no, she gave birth a year ago and was not, in fact pregnant.  Sorry Gina, for putting my foot in my mouth once again!



Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.  But we should never forget why we get the day off for Memorial Day, and thank a veteran for their service and sacrifice.  And remember those who were not able to come home.  If anyone is interested in seeing a great movie that shows how war can affect families (and there are lots of them out there), see Brothers with Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman.  Very poignant, sad, and violent.  Not appropriate for kids. 

Faith, Hope and Love,


Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment