Saturday, May 5, 2012

Make Some Noise if You're With Me

I don't normally speak out about stuff like this, but I have to say, the death of Adam Yauch (aka MCA of the Beastie Boys) is something that has caught me off guard to say the least.  When you are 15 or 16 years old and listening to 3 white guys bust some rhymes, it never occurs to you that this stuff can all come to an end. 

I was a big fan of Licensed to Ill when it first came out.  I thought they were fun to listen to and also to watch.  It was great to see a group like this just having a great time and never taking themselves too seriously.  I have to admit I have not really been keeping up with them in the past 20 years.  I wasn't even aware they had been inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame recently. 

Adam Yauch was diagnosed with cancer of the salivary gland three years ago.  But one year ago, the Beastie Boys released an album called Hot Sauce Committee Part 2.  I was bored and playing with YouTube on my phone and came across this song that really spoke to me in a way.  Most of the time when you look at a band that has been around as long as the Beastie Boys, well, the new stuff pretty much sucks.  But this song doesn't.  I think MCA was trying to tell us something.  The song has some language in it that may be offensive--so turn it down low or don't watch with kids around.


Here's the part that resonates the most with me during this journey, and thank you MCA for spelling it out so clearly:

"Pass me the scalpel, I'll make the incision, I'll cut off the part of your brain that does the bitching, put it in formaldehyde and put it on a shelf, and you can show it to your friends and say "that's my old self."

I will be sure to remember that while nursing my blisters.  Rhyme in Peace, MCA. 

Faith, Hope and Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment