Friday, May 11, 2012

Are You Kidding Me Right Now?

The first time I saw the cover to this week's Time Magazine I came across it on Facebook.  It was posted on the timeline of a friend.  A friend of my husband's actually, who happens to be male.    Here it is for those who may have missed it.


Let me preface this by saying, I have no problem whatsoever with breastfeeding your child.  There is nothing more beautiful than the image of a mother feeding her young child, the bonding, the nutrition.  I have read some studies that say that breastfeeding, can help reduce the risk of breast cancer.  Breastfeeding is a good thing!  Love the breastfeeding.  Did it myself until the pediatrician recommended that I supplement with formula.  I lasted for about 3 months of this with each child.  So I would say that under those circumstances, not too bad.

I have friends who have breastfed their kids, one year, 18 months, two years, three.  None of that makes a difference.  If the kid is happy and mom is happy, that's great. 

What I have a problem with is Time Magazine making a cover out of it.  When did it become okay to show this kind of stuff on the cover of a worldwide distributed magazine?  To me Time crossed a line here.  I don't like it.  And I also don't like the caption.  It is very insulting to a mom like myself.  I breastfed my kids for only 3 months.  Does that make me any less of a mom?

I think not, Time Magazine.  If I didn't already have a subscription to your magazine, I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole.  Normally I love this magazine. 

Sigh.  Anyway, I walked 3.5 miles today, in 50 minutes.  Happy Mother's Day to all the moms I know.  Happy Mother's Day to my Grandma and my Nonna in heaven.  All of you have touched my life in such a wonderful way :)

Faith, Hope and Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment