Friday, June 8, 2012

Bagging for Boobs at the Local Supermarket

Tonight I helped one of our team members meet her minimum by bagging groceries at our local supermarket.  I was there from a little after 4 until 8 at night.  After that experience, let's just say I have a whole new respect for supermarket cashiers!

Don't misunderstand me, I had a job all through high school and college, I worked for my dad at his pharmacy, I still work there part time.  I never really needed to get a job because I always had one waiting for me when I came home from school.  Therefore I never had the experience of being a supermarket checker or bagger.  I have never waitressed either and I'm sure that's a whole new can of worms to open!

Anyway, you may think bagging groceries is fairly simple.  Correction: bagging your OWN groceries is fairly simple.  You just put stuff in bags the way you like it--in the order in which you put them away, or whatever.  But bagging groceries for other people is a WHOLE different story!  I would say about half of them couldn't care less and just liked the fact that they didn't have to do it themselves.  And the other half had a system that you could assist them with, but really, they would rather do it themselves.  One woman requested nothing but paper bags, doubled.  Quite a few people brought their own bags (in fact I was surprised by the number of people brought their own bags) and still others wanted you to fit as much as possible into one bag. 

Another thing that overwhelmed me was the generosity of people in general.  99 percent of the people gave a donation of some kind, even if it was just a few coins.  It's very touching when someone you don't know donates to your cause.  It means that what you are doing is making a difference to someone.  I hope that we made lots of money for my teammate's fund.  She has been working so hard to get these fundraising gigs--and she still needs quite a bit to get to $2300.  She joined our team only recently but she has really hit the ground running with the fundraising!

I am really enjoying this phase of my journey.  Most of the fundraising I do now is just for fun, and I am able to have fun and just talk to people about the cause, find out about their experiences, without worrying about getting donations all the time.  I mean if I get more donations I certainly welcome them but not having the pressure just feels so good.

Tonight my husband and I sat on our patio, drank Pinot Grigio and just talked.  It was so nice to relax!


Faith, Hope, and Love,


Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment