Monday, July 16, 2012

My first training session at the gym

This morning I had my first training session at the gym.  My new trainer, Margaret and I worked on legs, arms, abs, shoulders, everything you could think of!  When I told her I would be walking the 3 Day in October, she suggested interval training where you do cardio at high intensity for 30 seconds, lower intensity for a minute and a half, and switch off.  After I did the strengthening exercises I went on the elliptical machine for 20 minutes and did six intervals in those 20 minutes.  So I was pretty proud of myself.

I have been working out pretty regularly and have lost 1 pound over the past 2 weeks.  Not too bad but I expected to have lost more.  But it just goes to show that plain old cardio just isn't going to do it anymore for me.  I can't get away with not strength training anymore. It's too important.

For my first training session I started with step ups, then 3 point tricep press, squats with shoulder press, side leg raises, I did push ups, and ab exercises.  I also did the tricep pull down machine, which wasn't bad.  I used 10 pound weights too which I never thought I could. 

My aim is to get to the gym 4 times a week and also to do at least 1-2 long training walks per week.  Margaret told me the interval training should help boost my endurance so I will be able to do the long walks.  And the strength training should help me drop some weight.  I would love to lose 10 pounds at least before the walk. 

Post a comment if you have any suggestions for me to help build my endurance and burn calories, or if you just want to share your training story.  I never thought I would really like working out this much again, but we're at the beginning of the 3rd week and I haven't quit yet!  So that's something!

Faith, Hope and Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment