Tuesday, October 9, 2012

You're in the (Pink) Army Now--Day One

I have chosen to break down my 3-Day experience into 3 separate posts, because there's just too much to say in one post.  The first thing I have to say about the 3-Day is that it's definitely not something to underestimate.  The second thing I have to say is that my journey to the 3-Day was a heck of a lot easier than the 3-Day itself! 

This is how I looked right after I finished the 3-Day.  This is the story of how I ended up here.
 
The 3-Day started for me, on Thursday afternoon.  My husband, Al, my youngest daughter, Chloe and I picked up Cherrill, my tentmate and drove to our hotel in Willow Grove.  It was a great hotel, complete with popcorn in the afternoon and pink decorations.  Most of the people staying there were 3-Day walkers or crew.
 

 
This is Cherrill getting some popcorn for us to snack on!
They were really great to us at the Hampton Inn in Willow Grove.  They made everyone feel great and very welcomed.  Some of the staff even had pink on in support.  We went to the Day 0 event at Miller's Ale House, had a glass of wine, ate dinner and hung out with Christine, our team leader, Becki, one of our teammates, and Brenda and Jenny, two of our teammates who were also crew members.  Brenda and Jenny gave us a ride back to our hotel and picked up our team banner for us so that we would have it for closing ceremonies.  We went to sleep in very comfy beds and watched TV.  The weather forecast for the next day: hot and sunny.  Couldn't have been more perfect!
 
Day one we were up at around 5:00.  We got dressed in our 3-Day outfits, green t-shirts with the Ta-Ta logo on them, pink crowns on our heads.  The hotel had breakfast for us, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, Special K bars, coffee, and juice.  They had a shuttle leaving between 5:30 and 6:00 with room on it to transport all of us and our luggage.  Overall I would highly recommend the Hampton Inn if you want to stay in a hotel the Thursday before the 3-Day.  They treated us very well!
 
The shuttle took us to the Willow Grove Mall parking lot for opening ceremonies.  We carried our stuff to the luggage trucks, labeled with the letters of your tent.  We went to the C truck since our tent was C-40.  Great crew members loaded our stuff onto the truck for us.  We met up with Tricia, Becki, Rachael, and Rachael's awesome cousin, Karen, and headed over to opening ceremony.  Christine was a flag bearer so we met up with her right after opening ceremony.  Mandy and Lisa had gotten there very early because their hotel's shuttle left about an hour before ours.  For absolutely no reason.  As long as you are there at opening ceremony before 6:30 you are fine!
 
We got our lanyard and credential holders and headed over to opening ceremony.  After a very moving speech by Dr. Sheri Phillips, and the flag bearers marching in carrying flags for My Friend, Mother, Father, Children, Aunt, Cousin, Grandma, etc., representing all the people who we walk for, the walk could get started.  Below is a video people filing out to begin the walk.
It's about 2 minutes long and I think it captures all the excitement and anticipation of the start of the walk.  The walk itself started out a little slow just because of the location, but it was all good because we started out walking as a team!  On the left is Cherrill getting interviewed by Channel 6 (ABC).
 

Above right is a picture of the entire team at opening ceremony just before we began the walk.  Notice the big smiles on our faces.  I really love this picture because it represents how great you feel, both physically and mentally before you know you're about to embark on such a major, life-changing event!  I keep looking at this photo because I want to hold onto that feeling the whole time.  Unfortunately, as I found out, you can't always hold onto that feeling.
The first day, we walked through Willow Grove and Chestnut Hill, with smaller towns in between.  And as the name suggests, there were lots of hills.  The hills were the toughest part I think.  But I loved how many of the houses were decorated in pink and bras and all kinds of cool signs.  They made it easier to keep going.  Here are some examples:
 







Central Avenue was the bomb!  They really showed us tons of "support" (pun intended!) by hanging up bras for us.  It was awesome and as you walk farther and farther, you find that you really need that support.  The first day the route was 21.5 miles.  That was what the route told us but it might have actually been more.  I'm not sure if it only felt like more because of all the hills or if it was actually more, but it felt like a lot!  For the first half of the day I walked with Christine, Rachael, and Becki.  When we got to lunch around the 10 mile mark, we peed, ate and got started back on the route.  This time I walked with Lisa, Mandy and Cherrill because I knew I wanted to do the whole thing.  So I caught up with them and continued on the route.  Lisa and Cherrill had such a quick pace that Mandy and I quickly fell behind.  Which was okay since we had each other to walk with.  The last half of the day passed really slowly since there were more hills in Fairmount Park.  And the cyclists passing us on the left were a little nerve wracking.  I had visions of being knocked over. 

We got to use a real flushing toilet when we made a quick pit stop by Boathouse Row.  That felt pretty good but at this point, my nerves were starting to fray and both me and Mandy felt pretty awful, physically and mentally.  It's tough without mile markers especially when you aren't sure what to expect.  And the first day there weren't many cheering sections, it being a Friday.  I think more cheering sections would definitely have helped.

The last mile I walked on the first day, I was in tears.  I was physically and mentally exhausted.  I apologized to Mandy but she was a great comfort to me that last mile.  If I had been alone I don't think I would have made it.  I don't know if I can ever thank her enough for what she did for me that last mile on day one.  We got "home" to the Convention Center.  All our stuff was there.  We had to pick up our stuff in the dining hall and carry it to our tent.  Cherrill had gotten there before me and set up the tent and mattress (thank God). 

For some reason though, I could not stop crying.  The floodgates had opened and all I could think about was "what did I get myself into?" and "I need to get the hell out of here immediately!"  I even called Al and asked him to pick me up.  Tricia had to calm me down.  She told me where the showers were and said I would feel better after a hot shower.  Even after I stopped crying I don't think I cracked a smile the whole night.  Thank goodness the water was hot.  I felt a little better after my shower, and after eating something.  Then Tricia reminded me about my mail.  I felt like a little kid, following Tricia around.  But I have always known this, the way Tricia took care of me and everyone else she will make a fantastic mom!

The major regret I have about that night was not talking to Christine about it.  I was terrified of being negative in front of her because I know, her friend Kathi just passed away a few months ago from breast cancer, and she was still here doing the walk, so she had to be going through her own stuff.  I felt pretty ashamed of myself for being so negative.  I went back to my tent to read my camp mail and here are a few excerpts of what people sent to me in my camp mail.  This is why camp mail is so important!

"You are setting a wonderful example for your girls.  Be proud!" From Kalyn, my sister-in-law, and my niece, Lexie.

"If you happen to see a yellow butterfly around, that is my mom.  Since the day she died we always see one.  She may decide to flutter along with you." From Kim, my good friend from high school.

"Stay strong and we will do chips and margaritas big time after this one!" From Jen, my good friend from college days.

"I am so thrilled to be sharing this time with you.  Enjoy every minute!" From Christine, my sorority sister and team leader.

There were many, many others but reading them helped me get through that difficult first night.  When I just wanted to curl up in a ball and sob, these helped me get through it.  Lisa and Mandy did ask me if I wanted to join them at the hotel on the second night, and having the option helped but in the end I decided to Rocky it out and go through the whole experience.

I will post about Day Two tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

Faith, Hope and Love,


Angela

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! All through the night after that first day, I was in so much pain that I asked myself why I keep doing this to myself. I got up in the morning, felt better, and saw all of the people cheering and especially the survivors along the route. Then I remember. Raising this money and the awareness that go with the walk are important. We are making progress :) Hope to see you next year! Jen, Team "Lattes for a Cure"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen for your comment. It's great to hear from people who have gone through the same thing. I love your team name and I love Lattes! I have a fundraiser earlier in the year called "Coffee for the Cure" and made $75 from that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH I'd love to hear more about your fundraiser! I'll friend you :) Jen

    ReplyDelete