Sunday, September 30, 2012

Less Than One Week to Go!

I never thought I would see the day come, where I could say, "it's just 5 days until the 3 Day Walk!"  I have been fundraising and training for nearly a year now.  It hasn't always been easy along the way, but finding this picture in an old photo album:


has made it a little easier to say: yes I can do this.  Nonna didn't live to see any of her grandchildren get married.  But doing the walk, maybe more grandmas can live long enough to see their grandchildren get married, maybe even see great grandchildren.  And maybe more mothers will live long enough to see their own children get married (it is scary to even think of this possiblity, but diagnoses happen younger and younger).  My tentmate, Cherrill I am proud to say is a four-time cancer survivor.  She has four awesome grandkids!  And is one of the most inspirational people I have ever known!  She has told me many times, "I want to live to see my grandkids get married."  And being able to raise this money and do the walk, has brought us closer to the possibilities all of us have in life. 

I had a mammogram this week, it was at a great place and more of them are popping up all over, "Breast Health Centers" that are affiliated with local hospitals.  As I was getting dressed to go pick up my younger daughter, I saw this quote on the mirror:

I really think this is true.  Laughter and a positive attitude is key in getting through tough, stressful experiences.  This past week a longtime family friend passed away from multiple cancers, and schlerederma that she suffered with for years.  This woman was probably the most upbeat person I ever met in my life.  She was active and loved by many.  It hurts to have to put her name on my shirt as someone who is not here anymore.  In addition to the many other people that are too numerous to list here, I walk for her. 

OK I am sitting here crying my eyes out.  So I will close out this blog post with a fun picture from our team dinner last night.





Top row, from left, me, Lisa, Cherrill.  Bottom row, from left, Mandy, Christine and Tricia.

We went to a Benihana.  And sat with two of the most fun people we could have asked for.  We had a lot of laughs, took pictures and just had the best time ever!  I am looking forward to spending next weekend with these wonderful ladies, as well as meeting great new folks!

I will try to get in one more post before the 3-Day, but my phone doesn't do a great job of blogging so I most likely will wait until after next weekend to post more.  Of course there will be lots of photos of the event--I am told that it's quite a feast for the eyes! 

Faith, Hope and Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment