Friday, February 24, 2012

A New Idea

I have decided to start walking 5 miles each Friday, no matter what (the only exception would be a blizzard or something like that) and uploading my results on Facebook. This way if people comment on the post, I can ask them to donate $1 for every mile that I walk. So $5 Fridays will turn into 5-mile Fridays.

I used to think that the fundraising would be the toughest part about preparing for the 3-day. But that's not really true. The training has proven to be pretty tough as well. Time consuming. Not to mention that if I skip walking for more than 2 or 3 days now, I get pains in my lower back and my legs get sore. So really the only solution is to keep moving.

I wish I had the time to do at least 5 miles every day. But there's the little matter of these two:




Talia, my 6-year-old, on the left, and Chloe, my almost 4-year-old, on the right. Chloe is only in preschool 3 days a week, so those are the times I have to do my walks. I have between an hour and a half, and two hour block of time to get the walk done, so to get a good mileage in isn't always easy. I think it might get better when the days start getting longer, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

On the days that I really want to walk, but it's late at night and I don't want to walk outside, I use the treadmill. Or "dreadmill" as a friend of mine who is an avid runner refers to it. I don't mind it too much because I download lots of tv shows to my iPhone and watch them. I got almost the entire first season of Pan Am for free--Christina Ricci is quite entertaining! But after a while, the treadmill does leave a lot to be desired. No fresh air, the scenary is always the same, and you can't stop or else you will fall and break something.

Today I did a 5.7 mile walk around my neighborhood. From my pedometer I discovered that one time around the block is approximately 0.5 miles. So not too bad. I wanted to stay close to home in case the skies opened up and it really started to pour down rain. Fortunately it didn't.

When I start to do my regular Friday walks I hope to do lots of different trails, bring a camera and make it a regular installment on this blog. Have a good weekend!

Faith, Hope and Love,

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment