Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Just the beginning

This past October I decided to take the bold first step of signing up for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, for October 2012. I have created this blog to help chronicle my experience of preparing for the 3-Day, including all the fundraising events that I host, the training, and the self-discovery.

Let me tell you why I have chosen to do this walk. It isn't only to raise money for breast cancer research and community programs, although that is the largest reason. I also do it for the sense of unity that the 3-Day has fostered in its participants. It is just amazing to me how many wonderful, caring people, both women and men, I have met so far in my journey. People who are patient, kind, generous and have an amazing sense of perspective. These are people who either are breast cancer survivors themselves, know someone who is a survivor, or have lost someone close to them to breast cancer. Even though our situations are all slightly different, we all have a singular focus, a world without breast cancer.

Since October 2011, I have raised $900 towards my $2300 goal. To this end I have tried a variety of fundraising ideas. My first fundraiser was called "Coffee for the Cure." I made about $100 over the past 4 months, putting out coffee and biscotti every 2 weeks at the pharmacy where I work. In November I along with two of my team mates, Christine and Lisa, decided to take part in a craft show at Trinity Lutheran Church in Pennsylvania. I had birdhouses and framed photos (mostly landscapes) for sale. The only things we ended up selling that day were pink rubber duckies purchased at Oriental Trading months before. Most definitely not handmade!

Another fundraising idea that I have implemented is "Parents' Night Out" that I have had at my house 3 times, once in December and twice over the Valentine's weekend. I have made $160 with this fundraiser, and all I had to do was watch people's kids for them for a few hours, do crafts with them and feed them snacks.

My first team fundraiser was the Ta-Ta Sisterhood (my team's name) Super Bowl Pool. This has been the most lucrative so far of all the fundraisers. Christine (our team leader), Lisa, Tricia and I each raised $250 by selling Super Bowl boxes.

Most recently I have tried $5 Fridays on Facebook, asking friends to donate $5 on Fridays, much like a "Happy Hour" for breast cancer awareness. To date I have made $5.

The second part of my journey, the training, has been going well. I took a 5 mile walk last Friday with my mom (a 2007 3-day alum) which went very well. Being that it's still winter weather, I am not expecting to do a whole lot of outdoor training for a while yet. One day at a time.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my journey.

Faith, Hope and Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment